Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mothers in Pain - A Cultural Epidemic

So needless to say, I was very impressed and proud as the other artist's showed up with their works. I would have to say that the night of the opening really opened my eyes. The space was totally transformed. Each piece was colorful and unique and each piece with a story to tell. I was very happy. As I sit and contemplate Carl Williams' piece, I am constantly drawn into its brilliance and the emotion that it evokes. It has this spiritual, almost dreamy feel to it. What touches me the most as I look at Carl's piece is the pain in the face of the mother holding her lifeless child. I just can't get away from it. I keep thinking about the large community of women in New Orleans who walk around with this deep-seated pain in their hearts behind losing their children to soon. The pain is bottled up inside, so deep. Maybe out of embarrassment and shame, maybe because it is still wholly unreal to them. I don't know. But its a sad and tragic saga within our age that no one talks about. It's the elephant in the community and its growing bigger by the day. How befitting that Carl would pay homage to the mothers of these senseless crimes. It's like an acknowledgement to them that they are not forgotten.

You can See "The Pieta" by Michaelangelo to get a real sense of the context from which Carl Williams has drawn. http://gardenofpraise.com/art50.htm

You can also see Carl Williams' piece "A Moment of Silence" http://www.mfrancisgallery.com/#!current-exhibition---in-black

No comments:

Post a Comment